Mission Point – Haiti Update
About a month ago the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti closed due to a dispute over the construction of a canal in Haiti using a river shared by the two countries. Twice a week Haitian vendors cross the border to buy produce and other goods to bring back to Haiti to sell. As they have been unable to do that there is now a limited supply of produce in county and that which is available is very very expensive.
In Haiti much of the medicine purchased comes from either the Dominican Republic or Port au Prince. With the border being closed they are unable to purchase medicine from the DR and gangs have blocked the road from Cap Haitian to Port au Prince making it impossible to buy medicine.
Thousands of people in Port au Prince have left their homes and many have headed North to Cap Haitian to find refuge from the horror of what gangs are doing to their communities. Many of these people leave with none of their belongings and have no source of income. Now they are in a place of safety, many are in need of medical care.
Praises & Prayer Requests
- Praise God for continued protection for staff.
- Praise God for the many patients that the clinic is still able to help on a daily basis.
- Please continue to pray for the security situation across Haiti but particularly in Port au Prince. The situation remains extremely difficult and dangerous for people living there.
- Pray for the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti to re-open.
- Pray for medicine to become available in Haiti.
- Pray for more monthly donors to support clinic operations.
- Pray for Haitians who have left their home in Port au Prince, this is a very difficult time for them.
Haiti Missions Team Leader